– 4 large aubergines
– olive oil
– sea salt and black pepper
For the filling:
– 1 large red onion
– 3 tbsp olive oil
– ½ tsp of salt (to taste)
– 100 g toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped (2 tbsp for garnish)
– 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses (Turkish shop)
– ½ tsp black pepper (to taste)
– 5 cm ginger root, peeled and grated
– 1 small bunch of flat parsley
– 100 g fresh pomegranate seeds (keep 2 tbsp for garnish)
– a pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 220 ° C top and bottom heat and grease a baking sheet well with oil.
2. Cut off the eggplant head and butt and cut the eggplant into 5 or 6 thick slices (do not cut them too thin, because they shrink a little in the oven). Save the outer slices for the filling.
3. Place the inner slices on the baking sheet, drizzle with some olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 12 minutes, then turn the baking sheet half a turn so that all aubergines bake evenly and bake for about 8 minutes. Check occasionally if they do not get too brown. Carefully remove them from the baking sheet and let cool on a plate.
4. Peel the onion and cut into small cubes. Cut the outer slices of the aubergines into pieces as large as the onion. Fry the onions in a little olive oil over medium heat until they are soft, then add the eggplant pieces and fry until they are soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the pan from the heat and add the remaining ingredients for the filling. Mix everything well and taste if you need pepper or salt.
5. Place a large spoonful of filling on the end of an eggplant slice and roll-up. Place the rolls next to each other in a greased baking dish. If you have any filling leftover, you can place it next to the rolls in the dish. Place the dish in the oven for another 5 minutes to warm up before serving. Garnish with walnuts and pomegranate seeds and sprinkle with some parsley.