3 eggs, separated
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1 ½ cups dark plums, pitted, halved
1) Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
2) In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
3) In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg yolks, zest, and vanilla; beat well. Set aside.
4) In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves. Add to egg yolk mixture and beat well. Add egg whites to bowl and gently fold together.
5) Spread into prepared pan. Evenly arrange plums over top of batter, cut sides up. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack, slice, and serve.